October 25, 2009

Mohawk Paper Letterpress Show















 
Last Wednesday, Mohawk Paper hosted a letterpress show featuring the art of seven artists local to Dallas. Each of these artists treat the art form in different ways, either by using traditional wood and metal type, carving images into linoleum, or using a polymer plate, which allows the designer to create an image on the computer that can then be translated onto a raised printable surface.
















I happen to be lucky enough to work with one of these artists, Rhonda Warren of Color Box Design. I have been practicing letterpress and other forms of relief printmaking for about 2.5 years now, and I started working for Rhonda a few months ago. We began preparing for this show a while ago and it was so much fun seeing everything come together. It rained all day Wednesday, but that didn't stop people from showing up. The show was hosted by The Apartment, a very posh venue full of white leather sofas and lucite tables with glowy blue lighting everywhere.
















I think the show was a great success. Everyone had fantastic work, and this experience has reinforced my desire to have my own press. Even if I have to turn my living room into a studio, it's going to happen soon.



















To see more on this show, and work featured by all of the artists, check out Samantha Reitmeyer's blog, style/Swoon. She also took all of these great photos.

1 comment: